Re: How to kill thread server_job() in snd_pcm_open()

At Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:47:02 +0000 (UTC),
Rong-Jhe wrote:

> > What you're trying to do? The server process will timeout (ends)
> > itself when dmix clients are inactive.
> >
> > 						Jaroslav
> >

> Thanks for your response.
> My application uses two ways to play audio.
> One is using pcm interface in ALSA library, and another is using dsp file.
> My goal is to change the ways to play audio dynamically.
> The pcm in ALSA library also uses the audio device.
> There is only process can open the audio device at a time, so the audio device
> must be closed before changing the way.
> For example, if I open dsp file first and use write() to play audio, I need to
> close the dsp file and then open pcm to use snd_pcm_writei().
> Similarly, if I open pcm first and use snd_pcm_writei(), I need to close the
> pcm and then open the dsp file immediately.
> Sometimes, when I change the way from using pcm to using dsp file, opening dsp
> file will get errors.
> I think it may be caused by the busy audio device.
> Is there any methods that can indicate whether the audio device used by pcm is
> free?

Not quite, AFAIK.  The server process keeps opening the device, so it
actually "uses" it.

BTW, with a recent version of ALSA drivers and libs, this server
process won't be needed and won't be started at all.  Think about
updating the ALSA version, too.

Takashi