Re: Correct stopping capture and playback substreams?

Dne 03. 01. 22 v 13:15 Takashi Iwai napsal(a):
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 12:32:53 +0100,
Pavel Hofman wrote:

Dne 03. 01. 22 v 10:10 Jaroslav Kysela napsal(a):
On 03. 01. 22 9:22, Pavel Hofman wrote:

Dne 23. 12. 21 v 9:18 Pavel Hofman napsal(a):
Hi Takashi,

I am working on stopping alsa streams of audio USB gadget when USB host
stops capture/playback/USB cable unplugged.

For capture I used code from AK4114 SPDIF receiver
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/sound/i2c/other/ak4114.c#L590:

static void stop_substream(struct uac_rtd_params *prm)
{
       unsigned long _flags;
       struct snd_pcm_substream *substream;

       substream = prm->ss;
       if (substream) {
           snd_pcm_stream_lock_irqsave(substream, _flags);
           if (snd_pcm_running(substream))
               // TODO - correct handling for playback substream?
               snd_pcm_stop(substream, SNDRV_PCM_STATE_DRAINING);
           snd_pcm_stream_unlock_irqrestore(substream, _flags);
       }
}

For setup I found calling snd_pcm_stop(substream, SNDRV_PCM_STATE_SETUP)
(https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/staging/vc04_services/bcm2835-audio/bcm2835-pcm.c#L63)

    Or for both capture and playback using SNDRV_PCM_STATE_DISCONNECTED
(https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/sound/core/pcm.c#L1103).

Or perhaps using snd_pcm_dev_disconnect(dev) or snd_pcm_drop(substream)?

Please what is the recommended way?

Please can I ask for expert view on this issue? E.g. in SoX stopping the
stream with SNDRV_PCM_STATE_SETUP/SNDRV_PCM_STATE_DRAINING does not stop
the application, while with SNDRV_PCM_STATE_DISCONNECTED SoX exits with
non-recoverable status. I am considering implementing both methods and
letting users choose their suitable snd_pcm_stop operation (none
(default)/SETUP-DRAINING/DISCONNECTED) for the two events (host
playback/capture stop, cable disconnection) with a configfs param. Would
this make sense?

The disconnection state is unrecoverable. It's expected that the
device will be freed and cannot be reused.

If you expect to keep the PCM device, we should probably introduce a
new function which puts the device to the SNDRV_PCM_STATE_OPEN
state. In this state, all I/O routines will return -EBADFD for the
applications, so they should close or re-initialize the PCM device
completely.

https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/sound/core/pcm_native.c#L794

The fact is that after closing the USB host can re-open the device
with different samplerate (and perhaps later on with different
channels count/sample size). That would hint at the need to
re-initialize the gadget side before opening  anyway.

As of keeping the device - it's likely some use cases would prefer
keeping the device, to minimize the operations needed to react to the
host-side playback/capture start.

A function you describe would make sense for this. IMO from the gadget
POW there is no difference  between the host stopping playback/capture
and cable disconnection, in both cases the data stream is stopped and
next stream can have entirely different parameters. Maybe the gadget
configfs parameter could only toggle between no action (i.e. current
situation) and the new alsa function stopping the stream.

Jaroslav, please can you draft such a function? Perhaps both changes
could make it to 5.17.

(Sorry for the delayed response, as I've been on vacation and now
catching up the huge pile of backlogs...)

About the change to keep PCM OPEN state: I'm afraid that the
disconnection in the host side may happen at any time, and keeping the
state OPEN would confuse the things if the host is indeed
unrecoverable.  That said, from the safety POV, the complete
card-level disconnection would make sense, which has, of course, a
clear downside for the smooth transition in the application as you
described above.  But most applications should handle such a
disconnection in anyway for the normal USB-audio devices that face
more or less the same problem.

Thanks for your valuable insight. IMO a major difference between host and gadget side is that when the USB cable gets disconnected, the host alsa device disappears, while the (existing) gadget alsa device just stops delivering/consuming samples (with the blocking read/write timing out, eventually).

I sent a series of RFC patches to linux-usb which handle signalling that the host started or stopped (+ cable disconnection) to the gadget side via alsa ctl + snd_ctl_notify, as sort of a side channel. A user-space example implementation of handling the ctl events on the gadget side is https://github.com/pavhofman/gaudio_ctl . The feature of stopping the alsa substreams is a mechanism e.g. for setups where the application keeps polling the alsa device whether it can be opened. Also sending a signal (term, hup, usr1, ...) to an app which is blocked on alsa read/write is more difficult without interrupting the blocking wait with snd_pcm_close by the gadget device.

I am not sure the stop should "destroy" the whole device, it seems a bit of overkill to me. Really just closing the device cleanly so that it must be again initialized with new hw_params (which can change between starts) would do, perhaps.

Thanks a lot,

Pavel.