Re: What does 0dB refer to? (Logitech USB Speakers)

On 14-04-08 19:24, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> Good joke. ALSA applies quirks an fixes in drivers all the
> time. Calling that "hiding the hardware" is stupid.

Fixes require a bug. The only bug here is in your brain.

> The dB scale is a _relative_ scale. To make any sense there needs to be

No, it is not. 0 dB is the value where no on-card amplification takes place.
  If that seems to turn out louder from one card to the next even with the
same equipment behind that line-out then that's unfortunate and we could fix
it per-card defaults. What we definitely cannot do is redefine 0 dB to mean
something else as you were suggesting for my cs4236 because you can be damn
sure _I_ want to know the value where no onboard amplification or
attenuation takes place. I control volume on the external amp hooked up to
the card.

Rene.