If you have a copy callback, do you need to have a silence?

I was finally able to get my driver working.  I had to use the copy
callback since my memory is external to Alsa.  I have noticed that I
commented out the silence callback and the ack.  All seems to work and
just for grins, I put them in with some printk's and they were never
invoked.  I don't fully understand these callbacks.  When are they
called and am I just lucky?

Bruce

Bruce Barclay
Intel Corporation