Working to make ALSA work on a gemini lake tablet

Hi,

I am trying to understand the issues that ALSA has on a recent gemini lake tablet (the CHUWI HI 10 X) for which otherwise linux support is in rather good shape.  In case I am successful, I'd be glad to try to set up a guide for users encountering the same or a similar setup.

On this machine, even on very recent kernels, it is impossible to have the soundcard recognized (only HDMI audio outputs are shown for aplay -l).

The tablet advertises Intel SST and to the best of my understanding that implies that in addition to the basic Intel HDA support there should be some codec chip that needs support too (this used to be the bytcrrt5651 in a previous version of the tablet not based on gemini lake). I also see that in many similar pieces of hardware, regular (non HDMI) audio support can only be activated by setting some GPIO outputs (e.g., https://github.com/danielotero/linux-on-hi10/issues/8).

My biggest element of concern at this point is that I am not able to identify the CODEC part, nor to understand if some specific UCM file or firmware file is needed.

I wonder if anybody could point me to some hints at how to properly identify the hardware and the issue. I have windows pre-installed on the system but even from there I have so far been unable to identify the audio chipset properly.

Thanks for the attention and even more thanks for any help,

Best,

Sergio