Re: kernel branch for submitting patches

On 3/15/21 7:35 AM, Mikhail Durnev wrote:
Dear All,

I am new to ALSA development in Linux kernel. Is my understanding correct that new patches should be created against the for-next branch in https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/broonie/sound.git ?

When I tried to create a patch on top of the master branch of https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git and send it to linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, my patch was ignored. Reading docs from www.alsa-project.org did not help much. In this mailing list I found that patches should probably go to broonie/sound.git for-next first. Looking forward to receiving your help.

Hi,

There is a section in the "Submitting Patches" documentation that describes how to figure out where to send a patch. See https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.17/process/submitting-patches.html#select-the-recipients-for-your-patch

You are right that the Mark's for-next branch is what patches for the ASoC framework should be created against. There is also Takashi's for-next branch, which should be used for any non ASoC audio patches.

- Lars