Re: ASoC driver names

Dne 24. 04. 20 v 20:15 Mark Brown napsal(a):
On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 07:11:46PM +0200, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
Dne 24. 04. 20 v 18:49 Mark Brown napsal(a):

So if it's not really going to be used for anything particularly
concrete then I'm having a hard time summoning the enthusiasm for a
change.

The driver name is used as the directory name in UCM / UCM2. For DT, it
means thousands possible directories (one per board / board + codec variant
and so on..). The generic simple asoc card is a good example.

Sure, then you end up with a few directories with huge numbers of files
which seems similar?

We can add more levels on demand (when the configs will grow) using the conditions in UCM2. For example:

ucm2/ASoC\ Simple/ASoC\ Simple.conf
- which can point to (based on other sound driver / sysfs strings):
  - ucm2/ASoC Simple/platform1/rt999/board1.conf
  - ucm2/ASoC Simple/platform1/rt999/board2.conf

etc...

The conditions may also shrink the number of configuration files, because the cards might be different only slightly.

The current scheme is "too flat" and constrained.

 TBH if UCM weren't doing the directory thing it'd
be easier to see fixing the neatness issue, what UCM is doing means that
it's much more likely that people will notice a problem.

  It feels more like a neatness thing than anything else and the
postitive case just isn't jumping out at me, certainly not as a thing to
force for everything.  New stuff, sure.  I guess I'm not bothered enough
to block any platform that has a burning desire to convert either though
if users start coming and complaining about kernel upgrades breaking
things we'd have to revert.

:-( I don't propose to force one way. We can conditionally change the driver
names using a well documented CONFIG_ option to keep compatibility with the
older user space code. The new driver names may be selected manually in the
kernel config.

That does provide some mitigation, though there's some potential for
confusion too.  We could try it and see I guess.

Thanks.

					Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxxx>