Re: DMARC & gmail & cirrus.com

On 2/17/20 9:46 AM, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
Hi all,

    today, all gmail users were unsubscribed from the mailing list, because we have users who sends e-mails from domains with the DMARC policy reject (like cirrus.com). The mailman counts those bounces and unsubscribe users who do not receive those e-mails. The nice explanation is here:

    I can enable the "Replace the From: header address" in the mailman config to "Munge From" like in the above example, but it will mean that From: will be altered (see the explanation).

    Another option is to disable the bounce check in mailman, but it will cause that the "dead" subscribers are not detected anymore.

    Any opinions on this?

                    Jaroslav

The way I understand it option 2 would also mean that nobody at a service provider that implements DMARC checks on the receiver side would receive mail sent to the list by people using a service provider that has a reject policy for outgoing mails. E.g. in your example while gmail users would not be unsubscribed from the mailing-list, but they still wouldn't receive the mails sent from cirrus.com. Which kind of makes the mailinglist useless.

The way I understand the option to replace the From: header is that it will only happen for those that have a reject policy, for everybody else nothing changes. So if the mailinglist is supposed to stay useful for those with a reject policy the only option is to rewrite the from header for them.

- Lars