External Sound Card

I am looking for a external sound card that has spdif (7.1)
functioning.  The driver Soundblaster nx usb seems like it is under
active development.  The alsa documentation page says that spdif is not
working.  Is the documentation page out of date or is someone working
on that capability?  If spdif capability is not in the near future, can
someone suggest a sound device (spdif capable) that I could look at.
Thanks.

John