Very elementary question regarding period size

I am testing out my alsa driver for various period and buffer sizes, at some
configurations it doesn't work so arises this very basic question.

Is every sound card/hardware supposed to work at all the period sizes?  The
way I have written my driver, makes the DMA processing dependent on period
size so the answer is obvious in my case, that it might not work for all
period sizes. Does it hold true for all the cards?

-pharaoh.