Re: Current alsa module list discrepancies

At Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:16:07 +1200,
Eliot Blennerhassett wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> As part of getting the wiki up to date I have been comparing three lists of
> driver modules
> 1) List given by "configure --help" for --with-cards option
> 2) List of modules installed on my system when I  make install alsa-driver
> 3) Current list of Module-* pages in the wiki
>
> The results of these comparisons is here.
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix_Talk:Main
>
> Question is, are there some drivers in these lists that should be listed
> in "configure --help"  (loopback -> aloop at least)
>
> Should all modules (even helpers) be documented in the wiki?
> Particularly helper modules that have parameters, to explain what the
> parameters are for.

A good question.  I don't think it should be listed on the top-page of
the matrix.  Or at least, it should be categorized to helper modules.
That is, we would have three categories:

- top-level (card) modules
- helper modules (snd-*-lib, snd-*-synth, etc)
- core modules (snd, snd-pcm, etc)

The soundcard-matrix lists up only the first category.  The rest are
listed in the corresponding pages (helper and core modules), and they
can be also linked from the entry of each card module page.
For example, emu10k1 page may have links to the dependent modules like
emu10k1-synth, virmidi.  Ideally, we'd have a script to create this
dependency tree automatically from the source tree.

Just my $0.02.

Takashi