Re: snd-hda-intel, AD 1988b: SPDIF output not working correctly, volume low for analog output

On Tuesday 17 July 2007 12:21:25 Takashi Iwai wrote:

> Which applications are you using?

Tested with amarok, kaffeine (and thus xine), mplayer, alsaplayer...

> For further analysis, first get /proc/asound/card0/codec#* files for
> both working and non-working states.  This includes most of codec
> register information, so we can compare the details.  In addition, run
> "alsactl -f somefile store" in both cases, too.  This file contains
> the mixer status.

Okay... it's hard to force it, so next time something like that happens, I
will get the informations you asked for. (I already attached several infos to
my last mail) Is there something else I can do or provide you with in the
meantime...?

> Also, check the kernel messages when it hangs.  If it's related to the
> controller communication error, it must show some timeout messages.

There are no kernel msgs... already checked that.

> No, it's almost same (if we rely on the datasheet).

Different revision maybe...?

> Did you try any model module option?  It might be a BIOS problem that
> doesn't set up the codec informatoin correctly.  With model option, we
> can override and use the preset configuration.

Yeah... tried several things so far.

1] model option

With the auto setting, I can raise the volume a lot louder. Unfortunately
every sound I play back through spdif (non-ac3) seems overamplified even if I
lower the iec958 volume below -45db. I cannot get that right. Also in order
to correctly set the front volume, I have to adjust the headphone volume as
well. If I don't, the front sounds dull somehow. Also tried other variants
but usually one of the speakers isn't working or stuff like that.

Currently I am using 6stack-dig with the problems outlined in my earlier mail.

Unfortunately neither with the auto setting, nor with 6stack-dig, I am able to
switch the output mode (6 channel, 2 channel, ...). It's always 6 channels
and whatever I play back is routed to every speaker. :-(

2] position_fix

I don't seem to have any luck with that one. Doesn't solve any problems...
with setting at 3, things are even worse with more distortions.

So... I could live with the occasional spdif hang but is there something I can
do about those distortions I hear with spdif and non-ac3 stuff played back? I
can even hear it when nothing is being played back. Interestingly, the
distortions are gone when ever I have played back something ac3 (passthrough)
until I play back something non-ac3.

Thanks again,
matthew.