Re: Surround problems with cs46xx

Thanks for the reply Takashi.I don't think that this is hardware problem, cause in windows XP, using the drivers by the manufacturer Hercules, the sound is fine. About the test you mentioned, I 'll check it when I find free time on weekend and I 'll let you know the results. I hope you could provide me some further help then. Unfortunately I am new in linux & sound issues, so creating a 6 channel wav file and the whole procedure is a bit difficult to me and it's better to deal with it in the weekend!!

Regards.

O/H Takashi Iwai έγραψε:> At Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:56:53 +0300,> Vasilis Manwlopoulos wrote:>   >> Hi,>>>>>> Sorry for bothering the list again, but I have major problems with the >> surround 5.1 sound. I have manually compiled/installed th latest >> alsa-1.0.14 drivers but nothing improved. I am using Ubuntu 7.04 and my >> soundcard is  the Hercules Fortissimo III. This is, as far as I know by >> reading on Internet, supported by the module snd-cs46xx in ALSA. I have >> enabled the surround sound by creating the following .asoundrc file.>>>> pcm.!default {>>     type plug>>     slave.pcm "surround51">>     slave.channels 6>>     route_policy duplicate>> }>>>>>> The problem is that sound pauses whenever I try to do something "heavy" >> such as opening a new firefox window or generally another app. Also, >> there are delays and echo between the front and the rear speakers from >> time to time. I think that the problem is that, this alsa setup(meaning >> surround5.1 and the specific soundcard) places a heavy load on the cpu. >> There are 99% cpu usage times when the only thing active is a player >> playing a "normal bitrate" mp3. When I delete the .asoundrc file and I >> switch to default stereo sound using only the 2 front speakers the >> problems disappear.>>>> Can anyone suggest anything about this?>>     >> First, try to investigate whether it's a problem of surround51> implementation or rather the "default" definition above.> For example, prepare a 6-channel WAV file, and play directly with> surround51 PCM.>> But, from the symptom, I'm afraid it's rather a hardware problem.> The cs46xx uses three stereo streams for 5.1 output, and they are not> strictly synchronized.  And, debugging cs46xx driver is really a> nightmare...>>> Takashi>>   _______________________________________________Alsa-devel mailing listAlsa-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://mailman.alsa-project.org/mailman/listinfo/alsa-devel