Strange findings about the microphone in SigmaTel STAC9221 A1

My hda-intel card is with the following codec:

Codec: SigmaTel STAC9221 A1
Address: 0
Vendor Id: 0x83847680
Subsystem Id: 0x106b1700
Revision Id: 0x103401

I am using alsa 1.0.14rc4. I have a built-in microphone, which doesn't
work, but today I found out something interesting. If I set the
capture to minimum and place Mux at specific positions (Works with
middle-ish and top, not bottom-ish) suddenly the mic started
recording, but the quality is extremly bad. I have attached amixer and
co. Does anyone have a clue what the issue is and how could possibly
this little bit of random foundings to be used to possibly fix the
mic?

Regards.

--
Ivan N. Zlatev

Web: http://www.i-nZ.net
"It's all some kind of whacked out conspiracy."