Re: crash/reboot with rawmidi on ice1712 dual opteron

> When the hang-up occurs at the first write, it must be in
> snd_mpu401_uart_cmd().  At the very beginning, it calls
> mpu->write(mpu, 0x00, MPU401D(mpu)); Try to comment out this and
> see what happens.

I had tried that - I think that I just commented out the reset
command. It would not crash or reboot, but it did not haver
functionality either.

> Do I understand correctly that this bug happens when you open a
> rawmidi device for read, e.g. % cat /dev/snd/midiC0D0 > /dev/null

yes. I usually used
amidi -p hw:0 -d

> Perhaps an easiest but foolishest way to trace this is to put
> printk at each io-port access and any other important points, and
> give some sleep at each point, then watch the kernel message.
> You can get rid of spin_lock_*() around that, just for testing.

I've done this until I traced it to the first outb() call, i.e. the
initialization mentioned above. The first outb() will cause the reboot.

Florian

--
Florian Bomers
bome.com