Re: Inexplicable mixer control creation

Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:21:08 -0400,
Randy Cushman wrote:

In attempting to implement my proposed mixer control name changes (see
" RFC: Enhance AD AC '97 mixer control names") I have
encountered behavior that makes no sense to me:  If module
snd_ac97_codec does not create a control with the name 'PCM Playback
Volume' then something else creates a control with that name.  Not
surprisingly, this phantom control serves no useful purpose in my
environment, as it has no affect on AC '97 control registers.

This is done by softvol plugin used in the default configuration for
many onboard chip drivers.  See alsa-lib/src/conf/cards/*.conf.

I haven't spent much time in alsa-lib.  I'll take a look.

This may be a good time to mention that I am unable to access the Mercurial repository.  If I try to access http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org in a web browser or use the "hg clone" command, I get "HTTP Error 403: Forbidden".  Curiously, I can "hg diff" repositories I cloned previously.  (I opened bugtrack ticket #2956 this morning.)

In the mean time, I'll look at alsa-lib-1.0.14rc3.

That's actually a point that I missed.  Many apps assume either
"Master" or "PCM" mixer exists.  Thus, removing PCM isn't nice for
them.

Now I'm considering whether changing the volume names in the driver
level is actually a better choice.  It's basically simpler, and I
prefer a simpler solution.  OTOH, it may bring other messes because of
the name incompatibility like above.  So, the cleanest solution would
be some mangling in the user-space, i.e. inside alsa-lib.  But, it's
a bit harder way.

I was planning to change the names by calling snd_ac97_rename_vol_ctl() from functions patch_ad1986_specific(), etc. in ac97_patch.c.  I'll explore the alsa-lib approach.

So, before doing this -- we have to *seriously* consider to get
consensus what control names should be used as standard and how they
behave.  Maybe better to start another thread for discussing this...

I can start another thread.
Takashi