pcm_multi broken in alsa-lib - no duplex mode with jackd

Dear ALSA Developers

When I attempted to combine several device drivers using the pcm_multi
function in .asound.conf I learned the hardway that pcm_multi doesn't
work in duplex mode with jackd. Apparently pcm_multi was broken in
alsa-lib 1.0.9rc1 and has never been fixed.

Many JACK users have successfully used the following patch:

http://www.sound-man.co.uk/linuxaudio/pcm_multi-patch

I have since learned that many studio64 users have been bitten by this bug.

Please, please, please add the above patch to version 1.014 of ALSA libs
before they are finally released as stable.

With many thanks, Simon.