Re: RFC: Add support for monotonic clock for 2.6

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:52:41 +0100 (CET),
> > Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 	in 2.6 kernels, we can use ktime_get_ts() function to get
> > > monotonic time which can be used for PCM timestamps. I would propose
> > > to reuse the SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_TSTAMP ioctl to enable using of
> > > monotonic clock.
> > > The "enable" (int) argument might mean:
> > >
> > > 0: standard clock - getnstimeofday()
> > > 1: standard clock - getnstimeofday() - for "compatibility"
> > > 2: monotonic clock - ktime_get_ts()
> >
> > Good to add a new feature...  but is there any user of this PCM
> > timestamp so far?  I see some good purposes but rarely seen in the
> > reality, unfortunately...
> >

> > Takashi
> >

> There are some good applications for it, but I have not got round to writing
> them yet!

I'd like to use these timestamps to do jitter (sample rate) corrections
among multiple soundcards. Unfortunately, because gettimeofday is not
monotonic, the timestamps are not accurate enough. Also, direct plugins
might use these timestamps to do more accurate stream start.

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxx>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer