From: rlrevell@xxxxxxxxx on behalf of Lee Revell
Sent: Wed 2/28/2007 12:54 PM
To: John Utz
Cc: alsa-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: patch: ac97_patch.c - enable 'Smart 5.1' on VIA vt1617a ac97 codec - Version 2

On 2/28/07, John Utz <John.Utz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Note that the existing control Alternate Level to Surround Out may have to
> be disabled to hear the surround output.

* Shouldn't you update the alsa-lib config file for this card with hooks
* to do this automatically when the surround51 device is used?

That's a very good and eminently reasonable idea. Having said that....

I am deeply hesitant to do anything automagic at this point for several reasons:

1. This is my first ever patch and i may have hosed something, so why compound my folly? :-)

2. The documentation from via on vt1617a Smart 5.1  is quite mistake ridden and getting something to work on my 1 sample of a via epia c-7 was an exercise in forensics.

3. Smart 5.1 is not utilized on all boards - recall that i started from a patch 2 14rc2 submitted by Daniel Jacobowitz that enabled surround to work on a shuttle board with traditional jacks.

4. Board vendors that use Smart 5.1 may be using it differently then how things are done on the board that i have - what if they only bidirectionaled 1 connector? which one?

Ideally, fixing up the alsa-lib conf file should come after some results from the field.

tnx!

johnu

* Lee