Re: OSS emulation, period size, and start/stop thresholds

On 2/22/07, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think putting the usage and the information to stdout is normal.

Usage, maybe.  But nothing else -- not if you want piping stdout to
stdin to work.  Which I do, because it's by far the sanest way to hook
two processes together in Unix.

> It should.  There are some mangles with buffer and period sizes
> because of the limitation of OSS (sizes must be power-of-two), but the
> lowlevel driver doesn't have to take care about it.

Aha.  _That's_ the problem.  OK, I won't be able to use the OSS
emulation, because I need to chunk in multiples of 5ms.  Thanks!

> If you have problems actually, let us know :)

Well, it took quite a while to figure out how the trigger() and
pointer() hooks were supposed to work for a non-DMA device.  (DMA is
of limited use on this device because it can only interact with
on-chip SRAM.)  When I have my ducks in a row, I'll post this driver
along with some theory of operation; it would probably be nice for the
next poor sod if it made it into the documentation.

Cheers,
- Michael