Re: Is there a convention for mapping codec vendor's register::bit names to alsa control names?

At Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:11:11 -0800,
John Utz wrote:

> I have some improvements to the VIA 1617a support submitted a few weeks ago by daniel
> jacobowitz (they are in 1.0.14rc2).
>
> I have added 4 new controls, 3 of which are required to support enabling VIA's
> 'Smart51' for the 1617a:
>
> static const struct snd_kcontrol_new snd_ac97_controls_vt1617a[] = {
>   AC97_SINGLE("Center/LFE Exch",   0x5a,  8, 1, 0),

You don't have to shorten the word.  The mixer element has a long
enough space (up to 43 letters).

> /* these bits form a matrix that allows for the limited configuration of
>  * outputs and inputs to enable surround sound input
>   AC97_SINGLE("Microphone Select", 0x20,  8, 1, 0),

An enum type control would be suitable for this kind of controls (if
really needed).

>   AC97_SINGLE("Smart 5.1 Switch",  0x7a, 15, 1, 0),
>   AC97_SINGLE("Smart 5.1 Enable",  0x7a, 14, 1, 0)
> };
>
> These are the names that Uncle Via's hard working engineers have assigned to these
> bits in their released documentation but surfacing these names in the ui looks to me
> to be a usability nightmare :-(
>
> To wit; enabling surround sound on a board that only has 3 jacks requires setting
>
>    "Microphone Select" to 0
>    "Smart 5.1 Switch"  to 1
>    "Smart 5.1 Enable"  to 1

Is there any case that you need to turn off these bits?
If no, we can hardcode these bits in the initialization sequence.

> *and* one set the existing "Alternate Level to Surround Out" to 0
>
> This is super-duper non obvious in alsamixer.

Strongly agree.

Alternatively, if we really need a mixer switch to toggle these bits,
create combinient one such as "Surround Output Switch", which
enables/disables all these bits together as a single control.

(Actually, such an abstraction could be implemented in alsa-lib side,
 I come to believe that the simplification in the driver is much
 easier.)

thanks,

Takashi