Re: why would i *not* be able to update a register in ac97#0-0+regs when it's read write?

On 2/16/07, John Utz <John.Utz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  i think the configure help should be changed; what would you conclude from
> this list:
>
>   --with-debug=level      give the debug level (none,basic,full,detect)
>
>  to me, this certainly implies detect>full>basic>none

Agreed.

>  >  i believe that i want to set these to the 01 setting so that i can get
>  > surround out from Universal Audio Jacks on our MSI motherboard samples
>  >
>  >  am i barking up the wrong tree here?
>
>  Not sure - can you state the exact problem you are trying to solve?
>

>  there are two issues:
>
>  1. attempting to write to registers that are documented to be read-write
> doesnt
>     result in a change of value; how do i debug this?

The mode in /proc is misleading but the documentation in
Documentation/ALSA-Configuration.txt is correct.

>  2. i have an msi motherboard with a via8237Rplus and a vt1618 8ch codec. it
> has only
>     three plugs on the back that default to a stereo out, line in and mic
> in.
>
>     they are supposed to be 'Universal Audio Jacks' and thus reconfigurable
> in the manner
>     mentioned in the documentation that i listed previously - i wont really
> know if i have this
>     write until i get the write to work

How do you know that surround out from this device isn't already supported?

Does:

speaker-test -c 6 -Dsurround51

produce output on all speakers?

What is the output of "amixer"?