Looking for help with dmix plug-in on ARM

Hi,

I'm working on an unannounced SOC audio driver on an ARM system.  I have a problem were audio works fine with out dmix, but when I try to use dmix no audio data gets to the driver.  The dmix plug-in does work when attaching external usb audio device.  Trying to use dmix so that more then one application can generate audio simultaneously.

If I try with version 1.0.11 of ALSA the audio driver doesn't receive any data after the snd_pcm_period_elapsed() function call.  If I try with version 1.0.13 of ALSA, aplay returns an error saying:
# aplay -D hw:0,0 pcm48khz_2ch_stereo.wav open_stream success
  Playing WAVE 'pcm48khz_2ch_stereo.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
  aplay: set_params:882: Broken configuration for this PCM: no configurations available

I'm planning on building a debug version of 1.0.14rc2 and tracing thru the code to see why aplay fails.  Is there a better way to debug this?  Are there any tricks for building ALSA with debug info?

Here is how the driver is set up:
static snd_pcm_hardware_t snd_oloriver_playback_hw = {
 .info = (SNDRV_PCM_INFO_MMAP | SNDRV_PCM_INFO_INTERLEAVED |
	   SNDRV_PCM_INFO_MMAP_VALID),
 .formats 	    = SNDRV_PCM_FMTBIT_S16_LE,
  .rates 	    = SNDRV_PCM_RATE_48000,
  .rate_min	    = 48000,
  .rate_max	    = 48000,
  .channels_min     = 2,
  .channels_max     = 2,
  .buffer_bytes_max = 65536,
  .period_bytes_min = 32768,
  .period_bytes_max = 32768,
  .periods_min 	    = 2,
  .periods_max 	    = 2,
};

No config file is used for the working version.  For the dmix version the etc/asound.conf file is:
 pcm.chemamix {
      type dmix
      ipc_key 1024
       slave {