Re: USB MIDI Support for Roland EXR Series

At Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:56:56 +0000 (GMT),
Andre Coetzee wrote:

> Hi
>
> I recently acquired a Roland EXR 5s usb midi keyboard.
>
> I'm keen to use the ALSA usb midi driver on my 2.6
> kernel Gentoo Linux system using current ALSA modules.
>
> For some time now I have seen that support for the EXR
> is shaded gray on ALSA's supported hardware list. Not
> sure what this means, but I'm guessing there is
> partial support?
>
> I can see the device with lsusb -v:
>
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0582:0060 Roland Corp.
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               1.10
>   bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class

As you can see here, it's no standard USB MIDI protocol.

> I saw a comment in the kernel's usbquirks.h:
>
>    /* TODO: add Roland EXR support */
>
> But if support is incomplete, I'd like to learn how
> can I help to accelerate this process? (I'm not a
> programmer, but I have access to the hardware and am
> willing to do some testing on my system).

A guess work and trial-and-errors.
You can start from the most frequent one, QUIRK_MIDI_FIXED_ENDPOINT.
For example, try to add the following to the quirk list:

{
	USB_DEVICE(0x0582, 0x0060),
	.driver_info = (unsigned long) & (const struct snd_usb_audio_quirk) {
		.vendor_name = "Roland",
		.product_name = "EXR",
		.ifnum = 0,
		.type = QUIRK_MIDI_FIXED_ENDPOINT,
		.data = & (const struct snd_usb_midi_endpoint_info) {
			.out_cables = 0x0001,
			.in_cables  = 0x0001
		}
	}