Re: ice1712 IPGA and ADC controls

At Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:07:34 +0000,
Alan Horstmann wrote:

> On Monday 29 January 2007 12:16, you wrote:
> > At Sun, 28 Jan 2007 22:59:52 +0000,
> >
> > Alan Horstmann wrote:

> > > (Adding to my previous posting)
> > > What John and I are saying is that the driver should retain these two as
> > > separate controls as they perform distinct hardware functions, inspite of
> > > the similar nominal effect on gain.  There is no way for the driver to
> > > ensure that any user GUI labels the dual function of a combined control
> > > or will mark the '0dB' (no gain, no ADC attenuation) level of any
> > > fader/control.  In this case, the two controls need to be there to tell
> > > the user about the hardware, and the choices to be made about the
> > > settings, rather than hiding this.  Thus I advocate reverting to the
> > > 1.0.12 behaviour.
> > >
> > > Having separate driver controls still permits a dedicated mixer app or
> > > similar to create a combined slider with suitable markings etc if that
> > > were appropriate to it's target user group, though as already said, these
> > > are mostly semi-pro system cards.
> >
> > Well, the ice1712 hardware is somehow strange.  On this chip, both the
> > analog attenuation and the IPGA are connected with each other, and can
> > _not_ be controlled separately.  That is, when you set analog
> > attenuation to non-zero, you cannot set IPGA at all.  Similarly, if
> > you set IPGA non-zero, analaog attenuation must be zero.  Hence,
> > recent implementation is the straightforward implementation from the
> > hardware perspective.
> >
> > If you want to have really separate volume bars, we can implement it
> > on envy24control.  IOW, it's rater a usability issue, and putting such
> > a complicated linking of two controls in the driver simply messes.
>
> The hardware is not actually strange to an electronics engineer (or when the
> reason is understood).  The AK4524 datasheet shows that there is an analogue
> gain block first, with a minimum setting of 0dB = x1; ie it can only provide
> boost.  This drives the convertor which is followed by a digital attenuator
> (DATT), ie it can only reduce the gain.  But using post-convertor attenuation
> worsens headroom, bit-depth etc.  The manufacturers know that to use gain and
> DATT is bad, so they make sure in the chip it is prevented.  Seeing as it is
> then only possible to have one or the other but not both, the values can
> conveniently share a register.  That does not mean they consider the two
> equivalent.
>
> I can understand that without audio hardware experience it seems a reasonable
> improvement to merge them in favour of usability.  However, those of us who
> have involvement in pro-audio are saying please don't merge these controls
> even if it makes software easier or more straightforward.  The behaviour of
> 1.0.12 and previous was exactly right in helping the user be aware of
> important hardware issues (partly through the cross-coupling effect), right
> at the driver level so that it applies to any mixer used.

The behavior of these controls were not right at all because the
linkage between IPGA and analog controls were not handled in the
driver.  It worked just only with envy24control simply because it has
a special hack.

So, the same is true - we just need a special hack in envy24control
but in more cleaner way than before.  OK?

Takashi