Re: [Alsa-user] Cheap USB audio card with phantom

> > Why do you need XLR connectors and a preamp for Internet Podcast?
>
> I need a professionnal voice microphone, like in a normal radio.
> Therefore, I need XLR entries.

<disclaimer>
I'm not trying to be picky, just precise.
</disclaimer>

Whether or not a mic is "a professionnal voice microphone" has nothing
to do with it having XLR plugs or something else as such (you can
have them with "normal" stereo plugs as well from a "quality of
signal" POV). Many such microphones allow you to choose the plug,
or at least that is the result of scanning my own mics.

However I do agree that most higher quality mics I have come across
are equipped with XLR plugs by default (though they can be refitted)
which makes XLR kind of the canonical choice in studio environments.

[recording sip phone and for DV video]
> I need to record voices with good quality.

From this I deduce you don't require long cables with your mic which
implies you don't need balanced cables (at all cost).

Nothing wrong with using XLR, but from what you write not a "must have"
type of requirement.

> More generaly, are there established standards in audio?
> What are theses acronyms: ASIO, ASIO2, GSIF2, WDM, CoreAudio, CoreMIDI,
> kernel streaming, etc...

Have you tried google and/or wikipedia ?

Best,
Michael
--
 Vote against SPAM - see http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/