Re: Need help with Audio out from an Embedded system...Linux 2.4.

Hi,

I am new to this forum and new to Linux, so please forgive mistakes I might make in the following explanation of what I am trying to obtain.

My goal is to have COAX SPDIF out of an embedded unit, or a USB digital signal that will output to an M-Audio Audiophile USB (or other intermediate device) which can then send COAX SPDIF to an audio receiver.
I am using an Aaeon AEC6820, embedded system, with USB 1.1 out (or the option of a pcmcia card (not bus)).  The Chipset in this device is the VT82C686B

I am trying to get COAX SPDIF out from this system either by using an external USB device (Audiophile USB by M-audio or other device) or by internal SPDIF out.

I am using Linux 2.4, and I have read that Linux 2.4 was certainly supporting SPDIF for some devices.  The question I have is will Linux 2.4 support COAX SPDIF  for the M-Audio.  If not, what device could I use to get  COAX SPDIF out?  So far, from the M-audio we cannot get clean sound out...it pops and sputters and sometimes doesn't put sound out at all.

Using the M-audio device connected to a USB 1.1 port, we are able to hear clean analog sound, although not as good as we would expect from SPDIF from the external device...like the M-Audio Audiophile USB.  Digital optical can be delivered by the AEC6820 from a USB 1.1 port...but has a lot of jitter.

I would like to know if I can get the embedded device with the  VT82C686B to output by USB 1.1 or pcmcia card (not bus) to the M-Audio Audiophile USB device  to get clean SPDIF out of the M-Audio device to an audio receiver.

I want COAX SPDIF out of an embedded Linux system (either directly or through an output that can be converted by an external M-Audio Audiophile USB or other device).  I do not manage the embedded system, I am not an admin but I can access the system to change the driver information or add a patch as necessary. This embedded system is based on a Linux 2.4.x.x operating system.

This is what I know:

1.  Direct optical out of the embedded system (AEC6820) works but the sound is full of jitter.

2.  USB 1.1 out of the embedded system (AEC6820) will send a signal to the M-audio Audiophile USB...but the sound is not stable (although sometimes it works).

If this chipset based on a Linux 2.4 platform will not output a COAX SPDIF...by way of a pcmcia card or USB 1.1, or output a signal that can be converted by the M-audio Audiophile USB to COAX SPDIF, I am thinking of trying to upgrade the embedded system from the AEC6820 to an AEC6830 on the same Linux 2.4 platform.  The upgraded box does have a direct SPDIF jack out.
The chipset in the upgraded box is the following:

The AEC-6830 is inside CPU board(GENE-6350) which uses the ALC650 chipset for audio and SPDIF function.

The manufacturer of both boxes does not support Linux, so they don't know if I can get SPDIF to work from the AEC6820 using the VT82C686B.  And they don't know if I can get  Linux 2.4 to work on the AEC-6830.

In summary I would like to know the following:

1.  Is there a way to get the older VT82C686B chipset to work better?

2.  If I upgrade to the new AEC6830 (chipset ALC650), would it be supported on a Linux 2.4 platform (or will I have to try to recompile to a newer version of Linux)?

3.  Is there any way to get stable sound out of the Audiophile USB (or some other intermediate device that would output COAX SPDIF) while not recompiling the kernel?

Marion