Re: Does Linux 2.4.x.x support spdif out by way of either pcmcia (card...not bus) or USB 1.1

I am using an Aaeon AEC6820, embedded system, with USB 1.1 out (or the option of a pcmcia card (not bus)).  I am trying to get spdif out to send to an audio receiver...or to an M-Audio device to covert the signal to spdif.  I am using Linux 2.4.x.x and don't know if it supports spdif.  We are able to get analog out, and optical (with jitter) out.  The spdif conversion in the M-Audio device has popping, sometimes no sound, etc.  The chipset is supported...but I don't know if it will output spdif...at least I don't know how to write the driver to do so.

The chipset is  VT82C686B.

On a new XP system with USB 2 out, I can get spdif by changing the bit rate to 24 instead of 16, and by cutting off one of the analog signals.  This seems to be a bandwidth problem to me.

1.   We know drivers for the M-audio work (we have analog).

2.  We know they output digital optical, and we know that their USB 1.1 outputs a signal that is converted in the M-Audio (Audiophile USB) to analog.

3.  By turning off one of the analog signals in Windows XP, we are able to select 24 bit and SPDIF works.

What I am looking for is a mechanism to program to cut off the M Audio analog driver for either analog in or analog out, cut ON the 24 bit rate sampling and voila...SPDIF should work.  This seems pretty simple to me, after I read your patch for M-Audio on the Linux platform.  They won't let me work on it because of their "secret" information within.  It is a relatively new method of using a computer based music system for them...so they do not want to give out their administrative password or username to allow me to go in and try to change the drivers.  They must do it, or the answer is no.

I want to provide them with as much information as possible to be sure they do fix the problem.  I cannot imagine that I am the only person complaining of have a really nice sounding piano...with terrible accompanying instruments. They have even admitted that they are getting this request more and more frequently.  They are just NOT motivated to do anything. If I can give them the way to get this to work, they will use it.

They are not interested in writing the patch to make this work...I know it will work...this is what is so frustrating for me...I can't get in to try it, they are not motivated to do it, yet I know it will work.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, and thank you again for your reply.

Marion