what does struct snd_ac97_build_ops do? suspect i need a new one for the via1618 to get Surround to work

Title: what does struct snd_ac97_build_ops do? suspect i need a new one for the via1618 to get Surround to work

Hello;

I have an MSI CN700T ITX motherboard with a VIA 8237 SouthBridge and a VIA 1618 codec.

Using aplay and speakertest, 2 channel sound works well, but 6ch sound with the ever popular chan-id.wav* produces no output.

However, neither aplay nor speakertest *fail* when attempting to write to the other channels so they evidently exist, but may be muted.

I went to the trouble of installing windows and the VIA Vinyl driver for same and after I used the via configuration app to set the mic and line inputs to be C/LFE and Rr outs, I received the expected output.

Is 1618 6ch expected to work with ALSA 1.0.13?

based on looking at ac97_codec.c: static const struct ac97_codec_id snd_ac97_codec_ids ,

 it seems to be stubbed out instead of fully implemented:

{ 0x56494182, 0xffffffff, "VIA1618", NULL, NULL },

My suspicion is that I need to create the following items (hx3rd from the vt1616 versions):

static const struct snd_kcontrol_new snd_ac97_controls_vt1618

static int patch_vt1618_specific(struct snd_ac97 * ac97)

static struct snd_ac97_build_ops patch_vt1618_ops

int patch_vt1618(struct snd_ac97 * ac97)

Am I correct in my assumptions? If so, what do these 2 arrays and 2 functions actually do?

Tnx!

johnu

* will that unknown woman become the alsa surround standard the same way that lena is the image processing standard?* J - http://robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu/~mayi/imgproc/thdemo.html