Re: Opening another audio driver from a driver

At Tue, 9 Jan 2007 16:20:44 +1100,
James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> On 09/01/07, Himanshu Chauhan <hs.chauhan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am working with the virtual device driver (dummy.c). Is it possible to
> > route the audio data
> > from the dummy driver to an actual hardware's device driver? For this,
> > do I need to open the
> > driver using syscalls? I don't want to make any changes on the other
> > driver. I didn't see
> > any exported functions in any of the actual drivers, so I cannot stack
> > my driver on that.
> >
> > What should be done in this case?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Regards
> > --Himanshu
> >

> I don't think you can do that. I also don't see why you would want to do it.
> If you want to like the dummy one to the real one, why use the dummy
> one in the first place. Just use the real one.

In theory it's not impossible but very ugly and unrecommended at all.
Anyway, user-space solution is more appropriate for such a virtual
stuff, IMO.  If apps require ALSA API, you can implement a plugin like
jack or polypaudio.

Takashi