Software equalizer

Hi,
I'm looking for a way to install a system wide software equalizer on linux. I'd like to be able to change the settings in real time just like software equalizers in classical applications like xmms and problably others.
I've been looking around and can't find anything that suits my needs. There is apparently a LADSPA plugin that would do it but it doesn't seem to work with ALSA: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=37078053
I'm interested in starting to develop something new if nothing like this exist. I'd like to have somehow a server running and be able to drive it using different interfaces (command line, graphical). What would be the best way to go ?
1- develop a plugin for ALSA
2- develop a plugin for JACK and use the alsa plugin for jack to make it system wide
The first solution seems more straightforward, but the second one could be more modular.
Any help or comments much appreciated,

Jean-Charles