Re: Long-standing 5.1ch huge LFE/rear swap annoyance (ALSA vs. Windows!)

At Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:21:19 +0100,
Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > > and there is not yet an ALSA configuration file for remapping channels
> > > on USB devices.
> > > I'm working on this.
> >
> > What solution in sight?
>
> Creating a surround51 device with a route plugin is trivial.
>
> Selecting device-specific device definitions can be done with a new
> card_shortname configuration function and lots of indirections.

OK.  My initial thought is to use USB IDs, but shortname should be
enough, too.

For a long term solution, we can create an API for the driver to
provide the channel-mapping information.  This could be done, for
example, by a special read-only control element, or via a new ioctl.
IIRC, usb descriptor contains the channel-mapping information, so this
process could be (partly) automated instead of device-base
configuration.

> The biggest problem is dmix.  I do no want to impose some default sample
> rate/format on unknown devices because this would break most USB
> headsets or other unusual devices.  I think the best solution would be
> to add an option to dmix to automatically select some suitable sample
> format when it's first opened.

Agreed.  For example, we can change the dmix code to accept the rate
option as a list instead of an integer.  When it's a list, dmix tries
to choose the first matching one via hw_params call.

Takashi