Where is /usr/share/alsa/cards/?

Hi,

I'm working on a driver for some hardware MPEG decompression boards,
with an ALSA driver for the audio part of the chip. For a good support
with most applications, I need a special configuration for this driver,
that would be in /usr/share/alsa/cards/EM8300.conf.

Unfortunately, this location varies with the distros. I heard that it
was somewhere in /etc for RedHat and Fedora. Moreover, alsa-lib maight
be installed by some user in their home directory.

That's why I'd like to know if there is some programmatic way to find
out where I should install my configuration. Any idea?

If there is none, I guess I could default to installing in
/usr/share/alsa/cards and let the user specify another location through
my ./configure script if needed.

Cheers,

Nicolas

PS: I'm not subscribed so please reply to me directly (M-F-T header set
accordingly).