Re: Using driver service from another driver

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 21:56 +0530, Himanshu Chauhan wrote:
> Okay. I am writing a dummy driver from which the application play and
> record.
> Suppose, mplayer is playing some movie and the audio is going to this dummy
> driver and Audacity is running which is recording from this dummy driver
>  (the stream coming from mplayer). But as no actual device is there, user
> can't listen to what is being played or recorded. I want a playthru like
> thing
> so that whatever data audacity is getting for recording can also be
> directed to an actual sound card driver from within the kernel.
> So that user can listen to whatever is being played by mplayer and
> is being recorded by audacity.

For inter-application audio plumbing, jackd (http://www.jackaudio.org)
is the way to go.

And for exporting audio out of mplayer:

 mplayer -ao pcm:file=out.wav -vo null [inputfile]

I'd say writing a device driver to do this task is like trying to squash
a fly with an expensive vase.

  Sampo