Intel ICH programming & ALSA driver

Hello,

I'm not sure this really belongs here, but I have nowhere else to ask. I'm
writing an Intel ICH sound driver for Xenomai (real time Linux) and got stuck
with no sound. I'm not doing this for a common audio application but rather
in an attempt to generate an experimental setup with low-cost arbitrary
waveform function generators (which are the sound chips).
Long story short, I learned as much as I could from looking at the ALSA driver
and the datasheet. I'm setting up the DMA buffers, I give the chip the Buffer
Descriptor table and after I start the DMA I get a while later an interrupt
that the LVI was reached and handle that. I'm running the DMA on the PCM OUT
I believe, but I get no sound. I set all mixer volume controls to max (and
read them back to confirm) and make sure they are unmuted. Codec one is
ready, AC97 power is up. Everything looks fine.
So now I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I filled the buffers for the sound
with random values, which might be wrong, but I was hoping to get some
crackling or noise at least.

On a different note, it seems that the ALSA driver is writing to the CIV
register, even though the Intel datasheet indicates this to be read-only.

Thank you for any useful hints in advance,
Thomas