Re: PCM format 20 bit

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Assaf Hoffman wrote:

> Thank you, for your answer.
> I do not understand how does it work? Obviously, the ALSA stack does not
> have such format, and by trying to extract the buffer (capture example)
> the stack will assume 32-bit sample width, getting trash on the lower 12
> bits.
> Please explain.

If the format is a 32 bits value, it is not important what the actual
resolution is from the software POV. It's a value that ranges from -2G
to +2G regardless the fact the x lowest bits are always 0. This is in case
the data is left-aligned.
Instead, if the data is right-aligned, ALSA must have specific support for
it because the values range from -512K to +512K (I assume it's signed), so
either it has to communicate the actual format to apps, or it must be able
to convert the data to other formats.
What is exactly the data format ?

--
Giuliano.