Re: Multichannels channel-mapping application API for PCM?

At Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:53:09 -0700,
Daniel Yek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, thanks for the previous responses that I got. All that was
> very helpful. More questions here...
>
> What is the rational behind ALSA's PCM multichannel playback channel
> assignment? ALSA appears to be using the following channel assignment:
>
> 5.1 Channels Channel Assignment:
> 0: Front left
> 1: Front right
> 2: Rear Left
> 3: Rear Right
> 4. Center
> 5. LFE
>
> Is this the only format ALSA supported?

Yes.

> Why/how it was selected in the
> beginning? (Just curious about the history...)

Hm, I also don't remember correctly why.  I thought it's because of
consistency between 4.0 and 5.1 setup.  The rear offset is identical
in both cases.

> I think (not sure, really) the channel assignment for Windows (if it is
> really one standard there) is:
> 0: Front left
> 1: Front right
> 2: Center
> 3: LFE
> 4. Rear Left
> 5. Rear Right

Yes, for 5.1.  Some AC97 codecs follow this order, and currently we do
re-routing in alsa-lib because of that.

> I haven't investigated AC3 (Dolby Digital) yet, anybody knows if there is a
> format for channel assignment there?

FL/C/FR/RL/RR/LFE, if I remember correctly.

> I'm looking if there is a solution (application API) provided by ALSA to do
> channel-mapping. If there is one, I can just ask ALSA to do the
> "heavy-lifting" of swapping the surround sound channels. If not, I'll
> iterate through the PCM data, mapping the channels to the format expected
> by ALSA.

Currently, there is no setup API for multi-channel binding.  The
channels are statically defined as FL/FR/RL/RR/C/LFE.

It'd be of course nice to have an API for multi-channel binding.
We can define either a read-only or a read-write API, namely,

1. The driver provides a channel mapping information for multi-channel
   device

2. Apps can change channel bindings dynamically as they like

In each case, we can keep the original FL/FR/RL/RR/C/LFE order as a
fallback so that old apps still run without modification.

If you have any API proposal, please let us know.

Takashi