Re: CMIPCI driver. IEC958 user data and channel status

At Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:41:02 +0200,
Assaf Hoffman wrote:

> Hi,
> As I understand, the IEC958 frame incorporates not only sound sample but
> also other information such as user data and channel status.
> I could not locate in the CMIPCI driver where the user data or channel
> status is read/write from/to the device and where is it kept on DRAM.

This depends on the chip model.  With the earlier chip, you have to
use 32bit SPDIF "raw" data including SPDIF status bits and data.
The soft_ac3 corresponding to this.  In the ALSA framework, alsa-lib
encodes/decodes the SPDIF raw data.

The recent version of chip has some register bits to indicate the
non-audio data.  The driver sets them up accordingly.
Then the 16bit data is handled as is without modification.

Takashi