ac97 driver for Plan9

I am trying to write the AC 97 driver for the Plan 9 Operating system. Right now there is no support for AC97 what-so-ever on Plan 9. So, I need to understand how to go about it. I went through the ALSA docs pages. Some links are broken there.

However, Im am still very confused if I need to write the driver for the AC97 codec or AC97 controller or both ?? The specs are not very driver-writer friendly.

If someone knows about this, can you just point me in the right direction, or send me some link where there is more information regarding this.

It will be of great help!

Thanks,
Deepti