Re: RFC: provide a device name list for applications

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:45:54 +0200 (CEST),
> Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	here is my proposal to provide (a long waited feature) a device
> > name list for applications (especially for GUI). The work is not finished,
> > but the patch bellow gives already useful hints like (for PCM devices):
> >
> > hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
> > hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
> > hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=2
> > hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=6
> > plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
> > plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
> > plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=2
> > plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=6
> > plug
> > shm
> > tee
> > file
> > null
>
> Hm...  I don't think it's a good idea to pass the device like
> "hw:xxx"  to applications.  The hw access doesn't work for most of
> apps except for a special one like JACK.  Even plughw isn't enough,
> e.g. for SPDIF access.
>
> In other words, it's rather harmful to pass all available configs.
> The apps need only limited configs that they can use safely,
> preferably with a certain description text for each.
>
> I think we'd need some flags to indicate "this config is OK for
> enumeration".  For example, add 'export' option in each exported
> config definition together with 'description "xxxx"'
> (or 'export "xxxx"' indicates that it's exported with a description
> xxxx).  For the hardware devices, we can retrieve the information from
> the driver.  For a virtual device, the description should be given
> manually.

Yes, the policies should be discussed. I already proposed to have
a "disable hint" tag in the configuration files, so we can avoid
to put specific definitions to the hint list.

But the major idea is to provide list of all device definitions including
user specific ones by default.

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxx>