Re: RFC: provide a device name list for applications

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Liam Girdwood wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 15:45 +0200, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	here is my proposal to provide (a long waited feature) a device
> > name list for applications (especially for GUI). The work is not finished,
> > but the patch bellow gives already useful hints like (for PCM devices):
> >
> > hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
> > hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
> > hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=2
> > hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=6
> > plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
> > plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
> > plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=2
> > plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=6
> > plug
> > shm
> > tee
> > file
> > null
> >
> > 	Things to do:
> >
> > - provide device description behind '|' separator - add this description
> >   to configuration files
> > - some virtual devices does not make sense without arguments (like file) -
> >   add a list off switch
> > - gather virtual devices from configuration files probably from
> >   namehint.pcm tree:
> >
> > namehint.pcm [
> > 	"file:FILE=/tmp/soundwave.raw|Save sound output to /tmp/soundwave.raw file"
> > 	"plug:front|Do all conversions for front speakers"
> > ]
> >
> > - sorting / ordering of resulted hints? any hints from you? ;-) maybe add
> >   a wieght to config files?
>
> I'd like to be able to add hints on pcm usage. e.g. Consider an embedded
> system where there is a HiFi DAC, voice DAC and Aux DAC.
>
> 00-02: WM9713 Voice WM9713 Voice-PCM-2 :  : playback 1 : capture 1
> 00-01: AC97 Aux AC97 Aux-AC97-1 :  : playback 1
> 00-00: AC97 HiFi AC97 HiFi-AC97-0 :  : playback 1 : capture 1
>
> The intended usage for each DAC would be as follows:-
>
>  HiFi DAC - High quality (multimedia playback) music/video players would
> use this pcm by default.
>
>  Voice DAC - Cell/Phone/VOIP calls (lower power consumption DAC -
> optimised for voice) telephony apps would use this pcm by default.
>
>  Aux DAC - System noises/phone ringer (lower quality and power),
> system/ringer would use this by default.
>
> It would be nice if the applications could determine the best pcm to use
> based upon this hint (or similar). Atm, it either has to be hard coded
> or set up in the applications config/start up scripts.
>
> This would eventually allow applications (esp in embedded space) to
> become more portable between different machines (without the need to re
> configure).

I would suggest to define the exact purpose PCM device names like
audio, system and voip . Then you can modify the global alsa-lib
configuration file in /etc directory and you can get the portability
benefit then. I am missing something? Of course, you can create special
tags in the description text, but I think that special device names are
better.

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxx>