Re: No sound with snd_cmipci

At Sun, 08 Oct 2006 19:34:29 +0200,
Pierre Ossman wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I bought some cheap ass sound card yesterday to use in my HTPC system.
> Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get it to output any sound.
>
> The card is labeled "PC Line" but is a C-Media CM8738, i.e. snd_cmipci.
> There are no error messages whatsoever, just no audio out.
>
> The problem only seems to affect PCM as I did some tests with a mic that
> worked just fine. The mixer controls for mic playback and capture both
> work and I get valid data when recording. PCM eats data at a reasonable
> pace, but no sound it sent out. Also, no data is generated when I set
> capture to PCM and try to loop stuff.
>
> I also notice two other effects, but I do not know if they're relevant.
> First, the mixer setting "IEC958 In Monitor" cannot be turned off.
> Second, when "IEC958 Output" is activated, mic playback is activated
> unconditionally.

It's weird.  Possibly a new chip revision that is slightly
incompatible with the olders?  Check /proc/asound/cards which revision
it has.

Anyway, please show the current mixer state (/etc/asound.state, or a
file generated via "alsactl -f somefile store"), and the register dump
of /proc/asound/card0/cmipci.

Takashi