Re: maximum PCM DMA buffer sizes for PCI hw

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 10:16:20 +0200 (CEST)
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> 	while working on ALSA bug#2481 I figured that we do not allow to
> setup large DMA buffers for hardware which is capable using that. I do not
> think that it's right behaviour.

> echoaudio - 256KB - might be increased (?)

I pass default=128K and max=256K to snd_pcm_lib_preallocate_pages(), but
there are no hw limits. Most apps use a much smaller buffer to keep latency
low, so I though it was a reasonable size. I didn't want to waste too much
non-swappable memory. If you decide to raise the 256K limit, please let me
know, because I have to lower the .periods_max value (the s-g list stays in
one page, so if the buffer is too big, the s-g list may not fit in one page).

--
Giuliano.