Default soundcard (UDEV?)

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> BTW, for the secondary card, you can use like the style like
> "default:1".  This will choose the default PCM of the secondary card.

Note that perhaps we should change what the default card means. In the
sense of udev mechanism, devices should be detected and enumerated in
system. We have actually no way (and it will be very problematic) to
change the soundcard number in the ALSA driver. Fortunately, we have extra
card id (which is not very much used) which can be perfectly used for this
purpose and it can be also changed at runtime (so udev rules can reassing
for example the default card).

I would propose that "default" will refer always to a card with id
"default" (and if no card will have this id, first soundcard will be used
as now). At driver initialization, first card becomes as "default", then
user or udev can rename it to something else.

Also, extra udev support should be added to match devices from longname or
shortname (see control API and SYSFS{}).

Opinions (except that we should learn users to use "logical
identification" not card numbers)?

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxx>