Feature needed for EMU1820m driver

Hi,

The E-MU 1820m consists of a PCI card with a connector on it.
A cable then runs to an external box called the AudioDock with all the
audio IO on it.
The AudioDock is hot pluggable.
The problem is that no interrupts occur if one connects the AudioDock.
One would have to poll the device until one saw a certain bit being set.
One would then know the AudioDock was there. The driver then needs to
load some firmware into the AudioDock.

My question is, what should I use to monitor for the plug/unplug of the
AudioDock? I would expect some user land app could do the polling, but
that might require some new ALSA api to support it.

James