Re: USB card @48kHz only: at what layer to resample?

Hi,

you could use the alsa rate plugin.

I used following .asoundrc for testing my driver:

pcm.au600playback {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024
        ipc_perm 0777
        slave {
                pcm "hw:2,0"
                period_time 0
                period_size 96
                buffer_size 1920
                format S16_LE
                periods 4
                rate 9600
        }
}

pcm.au600capture {
        type rate
        slave {
                pcm "hw:2,1"
                format S16_LE
                rate 9600
        }
}
pcm.duplex {
        type asym
        playback.pcm "au600playback"
        capture.pcm "au600capture"
}

aplay -D plug:duplex <filename>

cheers,
Markus

On 9/24/06, enrico_groups@xxxxxxxxx <enrico_groups@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Apologies in advance if I am asking a stupid question, I am quite new with
> alsa.  I posting to both lists because I am not sure about handling this
> issue at the application development level or at the alsa driver
> configuration level.
>
> I am developing an audio application using the CCRMA synthesis tool-kit
> (STK) in Fedora Core4 using alsa.  I recently bought a Terratec Aureon 5.1
> USB MKII card, because I needed to have better sound quality than what
> offered by my laptop.
>
> My understanding is that the usb card only works at 48kHz -- is this
> correct?
> I manage to get aplay to work using the following plugin in /etc/asound.conf
> pcm.!default {
>     type plug
>     slave {
>         pcm "hw:2,0"
>         rate 48000
>     }
> }
>
> However, in SKT I can enumerate the audio cards on my machine, but this does
> not give me alsa plugins, only the audio cards.  If I try to open the Aureon
> at 44.1kHz, I get an error saying rate not supported.
>
> Is there any way to have alsa handle the rate conversion for me?  Shouldn't
> or couldn't the driver take care of this?  (Was it my mistake in installing
> the driver? I can post my /etc/modprobe.conf if it helps)
> Or is there any way to get STK to see the plugin?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Enrico

Markus Rechberger