Re: How to test a driver

At Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:11:09 +0200,
Henrik Kretzschmar wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I own a Sek'd/Marian Prodif Plus and wonder which conditions must
> that pdplus-driver in the alsa-drivers fullfill to count as
> stable. Is there a __checklist__ or something like that?

Good to hear that someone can test this driver.

The primary problem is the quality of this driver code.
It doesn't follow the standard coding style exactly, and includes too
many weird macros.  Some codes are obsoleted, too (e.g. __setup macro
isn't used any more).
Also, overall behavior should be rechecked again.

The second problem is that it includes huge firmware data in the
source code.  It's preferred to push it out of kernel-space and use
firmware loader.  This change would be fairly easy, though, I guess.

And, the schedule to work on the above is not defined yet :)
I'll add this to my TODO list, but feel free to work on it by
yourself, too.  At least, reformatting the source code is an easy
task.

Takashi