Re: Help req rgd ALSA configuration scripts

At Tue, 12 Sep 2006 17:55:49 +0530,
Vishwas P S wrote:

> Could somebody pl help me in ths regard. I would like to know why
> alsa.conf, asoundrc etc are required and are they useful in
> ALSA-native and OSS emulation modes.

It's a misinformation.

> Can a simple system without spl features work without asoundrc or is
> it absolutely required?

The system works without it in most cases.

> Where can I find these scripts and edit them?
>
> I'm new to ALSA and currently working on porting ALSA on an ARM
> based custom platform
> with a custom audio card.

Then it's a totally different problem, because you're creating a _new_
system.  The known systems have already own specific configurations
for alsa-lib, typically installed on /usr/share/alsa/cards directory.
When a new system is created, one has to set up the default
config file there.  Otherwise, alsa-lib would choose a fallback
configuration, and it's not guaranteed to match with what you wanted.

Takashi