Re: ATI IXP hardware mixing

Lee Revell wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 08:16 -0700, Zephiris wrote:

>> > How do you know the device is capable of hardware mixing?
>> >
>> > Lee
>> >

>> Other operating systems support hardware mixing on it. FreeBSD reportedly
>> does, Windows definitely does (yay for hardware acceleration of DS/DS3D,
>> too; up to 26 streams) and I didn't ask 'if' it does, I asked how to try
>> to work with hardware mixing in ALSA. Documentation, general walk-through
>> of the steps required in difference to non-hardware mixed, anything,
>> please?
>>
>> I've been getting short-changed on answers so far (and was previously
>> stonewalled on AU8830 support, back when people in ALSA channels cheerily
>> claimed you couldn't get hardware mixing on that, either), and it's
>> getting frustrating. I'm not asking for a lecture on "you can't do that
>> because it's not status quo", but merely how to implement such changes in
>> the source code.
>
> Um... if the device can't do hardware mixing, how can changing the
> driver help?
>
> Windows and FreeBSD are using software mixing.
>
> Lee

People associated with ALSA have been daft enough to say that before about
sound cards that had exquisite hardware mixing, is it really too much to
ask for a simple parcel of information that appears to be omitted from the
documentation I can find for ALSA? I swear, if the consistently
condescending/fek-you attitude from ALSA over many years is any indication,
no wonder it moves like slag compared to other sound drivers and almost
never gets reasonably "full" support for any particular chipset. -_-

I already said I wasn't looking for more statements of non-support, but just
how such things have to be done in the source code. People should really
read once and a while.