microphone stereo input troubles

Dear ALSA developers,

I seem to have immense trouble getting stereo input from a microphone
to work.  I tried many things, and all of my attempts showed one kind
of trouble or another.  I would like to find out whether all of this
are separate problems or whether I am just spatially challenged.

Here is what I observed (alsa-driver version is hg20060907):

0) I triple-checked that my speakers are not swapped.  Everything
   seems to be ok there: the left/right channels of the volume control
   correspond to the correct speaker and "speaker-test -c 2" works ok.
   Thus the following problems cannot be explained by swapped
   speakers.

1) I tried to connect a Sony ECM MS907 microphone [1] via a Belkin
   iMic USB adapter [2] (supported by the snd_usb_audio module).  This
   was my most successful attempt: I could record a stereo signal from
   the microphone.  Problem: left and right input is exchanged.  If I
   blow at the microphone from the side labelled "L" the volume at the
   right speaker is loudest, if I blow at the microphone from the side
   labelled "R" the volume at the left speaker is loudest.  Why are
   the channels swapped?

   [1] http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=ECM-MS907&site=odw_en_GB&pageType=Overview&category=ACC+Microphones
   [2] http://seehuhn.de/comp/hardware/imic

2) I tried to connect the microphone to the microphone input of my
   ASUS A8V mainboard [3].  The board has a VT8327 chipset and is
   supported by the snd_via82xx module.  Recording sound works, but
   the signal seems to be mono (the two channels are the same or
   almost the same).  Does the VT8327 chipset support stereo
   recording?

   [3] http://seehuhn.de/comp/hardware/asus

3) I tried to connect the microphone to my Revolution 5.1 card [4],
   supported by the snd_ice1724 module.  I can record, but the
   recording seems to be mono again: the signals on the two channels
   are the same or almost the same.  The Revolution is, I think,
   supposed to be able to record in stereo.  Is this true?

   [4] http://seehuhn.de/comp/hardware/revolution

4) The card a stereo capture volume control.  I seem to be unable to
   control the capture volume separately from the output volume using
   amixer.  Example:

    tarte:~# amixer -c 0 set "PCM" 0%,100%
    Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
      Capabilities: pvolume cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
      Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Limits: Playback 0 - 127 Capture 0 - 151
      Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] Capture 0 [0%] [on]
      Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] Capture 151 [100%] [on]

   The above command sets the volume for capture and output
   simultaneously.  I did not find a way to get output 100% on both
   channels and input 100% left, 0% right with amixer.  How can I do
   this?  Is it a good idea the 'PCM' combines the front speakers with
   the captuer channel anyway?

5) I can control the capture volume with alsamixer and display the
   result with amixer.  But here left and right channel are swapped.
   When I have

    tarte:~# amixer -c 0 get "PCM"
    Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
      Capabilities: pvolume cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
      Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Limits: Playback 0 - 127 Capture 0 - 151
      Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] Capture 0 [0%] [on]
      Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] Capture 151 [100%] [on]

   the recording has only sound in the left channel.  And when I have

    tarte:~# amixer -c 0 get "PCM"
    Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
      Capabilities: pvolume cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
      Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Limits: Playback 0 - 127 Capture 0 - 151
      Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] Capture 151 [100%] [on]
      Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] Capture 0 [0%] [on]

   the recording has sound only in the right channel.  Why is this
   swapped?

6) For comparison: same setup as in step 2 above, i.e. microphone
   plugged into the mainboard.  amixer shows a stereo control for the
   capture volume alone.  I can use this control to mute either
   channel of the input:

    tarte:~# amixer -c 1 set Capture 100%,0%
    Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
      Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
      Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Limits: Capture 0 - 15
      Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [on]
      Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [on]

   The above mutes the right input channel.

    tarte:~# amixer -c 1 set Capture 0%,100%
    Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
      Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
      Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Limits: Capture 0 - 15
      Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [on]
      Front Right: Capture 15 [100%] [on]

   The above mutes the right left channel.  Thus, this works.

Any help in further diagnosing and fixing these problems would be very
welcome.

Many thanks,
Jochen
--